Course number: 085715
Course length: 0.5 day(s)
Course Objective: You will describe the fundamentals of data warehousing.
Target Student: This course is intended for people involved in the data quality or data governance process, application development, project teams, IT managers, and project managers needing knowledge of various aspects or the basic fundamentals of data warehousing.
Prerequisites: There are no specific prerequisites for this course other than basic familiarity with databases.
The instructor’s computer should have the following hardware configured:
- Intel® Pentium® IV 300 MHz processor
- 64 MB of RAM with 1.0 GB of free hard disk space
- CD-ROM drive
- Super VGA recommended (set at least to 800 x 600 screen resolution) with 256 colors
- Internet connection
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2000 or later.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify the need for data warehouses as well as their general components, structure, and functions.
- describe enterprise data.
- describe data warehouse design and modeling.
- describe the data warehousing architecture.
- describe the business value of data warehousing.
Lesson 1: Understanding a Data Warehouse
- Topic 1A: Introduction to Data Warehousing
- Topic 1B: Types of Databases
- Topic 1C: OLTP and OLAP
Lesson 2: Understanding Enterprise Data
- Topic 2A: Data Sources of a Data Warehouse
- Topic 2B: Characteristics of Data in a Data Warehouse
Lesson 3: Data Warehouse Design and Modeling
- Topic 3A: Data Warehouse Design
- Topic 3B: Dimensional Model Schemas
Lesson 4: Understanding the Data Warehousing Architecture
- Topic 4A: Extract, Transform and Load Data
- Topic 4B: Data Storage and Presentation
Lesson 5: Identifying the Business Value of Data Warehousing
- Topic 5A: Understand Applications of Data Warehousing
- Topic 5B: Understand Data Mining