Course number: 084397
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
Course Objective: You will utilize Adobe® InDesign® CS5 to create and deliver eye-catching printed documents.
Target Student: This course is intended for students who want to explore the basic tools and features of InDesign for creating professional page layout and designs.
Prerequisites: Before taking this course, students should be familiar with the functions of their computer’s operating system such as creating folders, launching programs, copying and pasting objects, formatting text, retrieving and saving files. Familiarity with other Adobe software applications is helpful, but not required.
- An Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon®, or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor
- 256 MB of RAM (512 MB recommended)
- 1.8 GB of available hard disk space (additional free space required during installation)
- A color monitor with a 16-bit or greater video card
- A monitor with 1024 x 768 monitor resolution
- A DVD-ROM drive
- Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Each computer requires the following software:
- Adobe® InDesign® CS5
- Adobe® Reader® 7.0
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify the various elements of the Adobe InDesign interface.
- design documents.
- enhance documents with formats, color, and styles.
- work with page elements.
- manage objects.
- work with tables.
- finalize documents.
- Lesson 1: Exploring the InDesign Environment
- Topic 1A: Identify the InDesign Interface Components
- Topic 1B: Customize the Interface
- Topic 1C: Use the Navigation Controls
- Topic 1D: Set General and Interface Preferences
- Lesson 2: Designing Documents
- Topic 2A: Create a Document
- Topic 2B: Add Text
- Topic 2C: Add Graphical Objects
- Lesson 3: Enhancing Documents
- Topic 3A: Format Characters and Paragraphs
- Topic 3B: Apply Colors, Swatches, and Gradients
- Topic 3C: Apply Fills and Strokes
- Topic 3D: Create and Apply Styles
- Lesson 4: Working with Page Elements
- Topic 4A: Arrange Objects
- Topic 4B: Align Objects
- Topic 4C: Manage Page Elements with Layers
- Lesson 5: Managing Objects
- Topic 5A: Transform Objects
- Topic 5B: Manipulate Objects
- Topic 5C: Thread Text Frames
- Topic 5D: Search and Replace Content
- Topic 5E: Edit Text
- Lesson 6: Working with Tables
- Topic 6A: Create a Table
- Topic 6B: Modify a Table Structure
- Topic 6C: Format a Table
- Lesson 7: Finalizing Documents
- Topic 7A: Check Documents for Errors
- Topic 7B: Print a Document
- Topic 7C: Package Files
- Topic 7D: Export PDF Files for Commercial Printing
- Topic 7E: Prepare PDF Files for Web Distribution